Sunil Bharti Mittal is the Chairman & Managing Director of Bharti Airtel Ltd. head quartered at New Delhi, India.
Bharti Airtel, India’s leading private integrated telecom company, has been at the forefront of the telecom revolution and has transformed the telecom sector with its world-class services built on leading edge technologies. Bharti has been a pioneering force in the telecom sector and today enjoys a strong nationwide presence.
Sunil started his career at a young age of 18 after graduating from Punjab University in India and founded Bharti, with a modest capital, in the year 1976. Today, at 49 he heads a successful enterprise, amongst the top 5 in India, with a market capitalization of over US$ 40 billion and employing over 30,000 people.
Bharti has grown successfully in partnership with various leading companies of the world - Singapore Telecom, Vodafone, Warburg Pincus, British Telecom to name a few.
The other businesses in the group are consumer electronics (Beetel), life insurance with AXA of France (Bharti AXA), and a joint venture with the Rothschild group to develop Indian horticulture and export fruits and vegetables to the world (FieldFresh)
Bharti has recently entered into a JV with Wal-Mart for setting up supply chain, logistics and cash and carry to support the burgeoning retail market in India.
Sunil is an alumnus of Harvard Business School, MA, USA.
Sunil has been conferred one of the highest civilian award – Padma Bhushan.
Sunil has been conferred the degree of Doctor of Science (Honoris Causa) by the G B Pant University of Agriculture & Technology.
Sunil is an Honorary Fellow of “The Institution of Electronics and Telecommunication Engineers (IETE)".
Sunil is the Honorary Consul General of the Republic of Seychelles in New Delhi, India.
Sunil has received several awards including:
- GSMA Chairman's Award 2008
- Padma Bhushan in 2007, from the President of India
- Asia Businessman of the Year, Fortune Magazine 2006
- Telecom Person of the Year, Voice & Data, 2006
- CEO of the year 2005, at the Frost and Sullivan Asia Pacific ICT awards 2006
- Best Asian Telecom CEO, Telecom Asia Awards 2005
- Best CEO, India, Institutional Investor, 2005
- Business Leader Of The Year, Economic Times, 2005
- Ernst & Young Entrepreneur Of The Year 2004, Ernst & Young